Emergency go kit
Preparing and Emergency Go Kit ahead of time can save precious time in the event you must evacuate. You should consider including the following items in an Emergency Go Kit:
- At least a 3 to 5 day supply of water (1 gallon per person per day). Store water in sealed, unbreakable containers. Replace every 6 months.
- A 3 to 5 day supply of non-perishable packaged or canned food and a non-electric can opener.
- A change of clothing, rain gear, and sturdy shoes.
- Blanket, bedding, or sleeping bags.
- A first aid kit and prescription medications (be sure to check the expiration dates).
- An extra pair of glasses or contact lenses and solution (be sure to check the expiration dates).
- A list of family physicians, important medication information, and the style and serial number of medical devices, such as pacemakers.
- Special items for infants, the elderly, or family members with disabilities.
- A battery-powered radio, flashlight, and plenty of extra batteries.
- Identification, credit cards, cash, and photocopies of important family documents, including home insurance information.
- Extras set of car and house keys.
- Tools such as screwdrivers, cutters, and scissors, duct tape, waterproof matches, a fire extinguisher, flares, plastic storage containers, needle and thread, pen and paper, a compass, garbage bags and regular household bleach.